Tuesday, March 16, 2010

coming undone

I lay there
wondering if my turn would ever come
or whether I'd end up a gooey mess like most
to be expelled in the most degrading of ways
and to be regarded with utter repulsion
never to return

I watched them come
and sighed as they eventually died
wishing they'd have chosen a different time
for they were finely bred
and never had I witnessed the beauty of bloom
in all my days

a day dawned and it was my turn to go
my friends wished me well and turned away in mock sorrow
and I put on my bravest face
cursed fate under my breath and took a step
my life flashing before my non-existent eyes
I welcomed death

what followed no words can do justice
for lo and behold,the troops rode in
as they made their way in unmatched speeds
I couldn't help but sheepishly smile
my destiny had taken a dramatic turn
the first bloom was to be my own

as ecstasy and I became one and the same
I felt the first little drops of life
and it was nothing like I'd ever known
mock sorrow turned to green envy
as they watched the once-in-a-lifetime unfolding
wishing they were chosen instead

days rolled by and in place of one were two
my pride could swell no larger
but the bud matched my pride not
a part of,yet apart from what I can't explain
and mutating in the most beautiful of ways
I couldn't ask for more

It was then that it happened
and I could tell something wasn't right
I felt a tug,and recoiled around the only thing I had
saying prayers in languages I didn't even know I knew
fighting against an unknown enemy
tooth and nail,blood and sweat
but I could tell the end was near

I searched the universe for answers
as to why let me prosper just to crumble
all I got were a thousand stabs
and piece by piece I left the only world I ever knew
wondering what I,in the 90 or so days
had done to deserve murder most foul

I looked up to see her,pain twisting her features
hurt beyond all imaginings,muttering a million apologies
to the God who doesn't listen
to me,and I watched something die in her
I expected remorse,but there was only regret
and I understood
she was no murderer-the devil had just come to collect his due.

No comments:

Post a Comment